With their portfolio, Vanity Fair has given us great pictures of the characters from The Last Jedi! VF has always done amazing photoshoots of this saga since The Phantom Menace!
These first photos feature Rey with Luke and Chewbacca. We can notice Luke is wearing a glove covering his mechanical hand.
The Resistance photo show us another costume for Leia while Finn is basically wearing Poe’s outfit from the opening scene of The Force Awakens, only the color of the pants is changing. Poe Dameron is halfway between what he had in The Force Awakens and Han Solo costume. Rose Tico being a technician of the Resistance has a fitting outfit!
For those who hadn’t noticed at the end of The Force Awakens, C-3PO got back his old golden arm and his look for The Last Jedi is now the same as in Revenge of the Sith – entirely golden, no silver leg!
This one is a wonderful photo featuring Kathleen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher along with the dogs we all love Gary and Millie! We can notice behind them what may be a spaceship.
These are two beautiful photos of Carrie Fisher with her daughter Billie Lourd and with Mark Hamill.
This photo offers a look at how Captain Phasma is without her helmet and it’s frightening! She is also getting a new weapon for the movie! Hux hasn’t changed much but Kylo Ren has a brand new look that is reminiscent of the original concept art design for Anakin in Revenge of the Sith!
Vanity Fair has some more photos of aliens from a casino that we’ll see in The Last Jedi!
These new aliens are done in the same style as the ones from The Force Awakens, often very weird looking and in painted in the same colors with absolutely zero aliens from the six first movies. The costumes of the people of the Canto Bight Casino don’t look much like Star Wars. Some of them are good like the tall alien but for most of it there is something off and it seems it’s a flaw from TFA that The Last Jedi will be carrying again unlike what was done with Rogue One.
Vanity Fair revealed today their portfolio of photos Annie Leibovitz did, giving us a better look at The Last Jedi. Among these photos, we got our first look at the characters played by Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern.
Laura Dern is playing Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo. She’s all pink – hair and dress! It’s a simple look but I think it works and it reminds me of how the humans were dressed on Hosnian Prime in The Force Awakens. It’s a character I definitely want to know more about! She has a military rank so it says a little bit about what we can expect from her.
Benicio Del Toro is playing DJ, a mysterious character whose allegiance is unclear. I think this picture says it all and he doesn’t look like a character you can trust. I love the costume, it feels like Star Wars and it suits Del Toro perfectly!
TMZ has some set pics from the Han Solo movie, giving us our first look of Alden Ehrenreich as young Han Solo! There’s definitely something in his face that reminds me of the character so I think it will work well! It looks like our favorite scoundrel will have some new outfit for the movie, it looks good! The pictures also feature some speeders. They look a bit odd but once we see them in the finished movie, I’m sure they look better!
Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones was released 15 years ago today in US cinemas. It still feels like yesterday. I remember going to the toy shop buying the figures even before the movie was released and then going to the cinema and being totally amazed at what I saw – an amazing chapter of the saga! It’s a great day to celebrate. So I think it’s a fitting occasion to make some comments about the movie and return to some points where it was criticized.
– People often blame Jar Jar for giving emergency powers to the Chancellor but they forget who are really are the people to blame in that. Jar Jar may have proposed to give the emergency powers to Palpatine but in the end it’s the senators who voted yes, they share the blame even more than him.
– The Padmé-Anakin scenes have been a target of criticism, sometimes considered as cheesy but they were key scenes to Anakin’s story. Without them, the story would have ended here, he would have never become Darth Vader. It’s his relationship with Padmé that for the big part leads him to the darkside. It’s a destructive relationship they have. The way both Padmé and Anakin behaved in these scenes reflects their characters. Anakin was raised in the Jedi Temple, taught that he couldn’t love so obviously he couldn’t know how to address Padmé, he could only be clumsy in his moves, it was his first time. And let’s not forget that he was in his late teenage years during the movie, and how teens usually are? They are whiny and Anakin was exactly this whiny kid, it was made on purpose. For Padmé, she was a senator, she wasn’t allowed to have a relationship with a Jedi so it was difficult for her.
– Jango Fett proved he was more badass than his son Boba ever was.
– The movie showed how Palpatine manipulated the entire galaxy to get it where he wanted, and how he controlled everything. Slowly leading the Republic to the dictatorship it becomes in ROTS.
– We were introduced to a brand new villain – Count Dooku! There are so many great things about this character – his attitude, his lightsaber quite unique and his fighting skills are also impressive! The duel he got with Yoda was one of the best and definitely remains in the top 10 of the saga, simply breathtaking. It started by the two of them showing their abilities with the Force and then going in with the lightsabers. This line from Dooku remains stuck in my mind: “It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force… but by our skills with a lightsaber.”
– The battle of Geonosis! It was a brilliant way to start the clone wars, epic on every level! We saw an army of Jedi fighting, that was huge and at the same time, it showed that the Jedi were not invicible, they’re peacekeepers, not warriors! It was the beginning of the end for them. The arrival of the clones in the arena was beyond epic as well, it’s one of these classic scenes of the saga. It paved the way for what we saw in The Clone Wars tv series.
– Like every Star Wars movies, it was a pleasure for the eyes! It has outstanding visuals. The visuals are always important in this saga, a lot is said there, they tell a story and sometimes it’s even more important than the dialogues. And like every Star Wars movies it combined both practical effects and special effects, pushing the boundaries of CGI with Yoda for example. Movies today have the visuals they have because of what was accomplished with Star Wars!
– I can’t not mention Mace Windu. He unleashed his badassery in this movie, he slayed that battle of Geonosis, first with his arrival and then by killing Jango Fett like a boss. Samuel L. Jackson had asked George Lucas if he could have a purple lightsaber because it’s his favorite color and he got it! Mace is the only Jedi to have this color and it definitely suits him and adds to the character.
– The cast – a multi-talented cast! They all delivered great performances. Hayden Christensen surely had the most difficult job. Anakin wasn’t an easy character to play, he was quite complex and not every actor could have conveyed on screen the torment Anakin felt like Hayden did brilliantly. About, Ewan McGregor when I look at his performance, he is the ultimate Obi-Wan, and seeing Alec Guinness in the Original Trilogy is like seeing an old version of McGregor. I think it speaks volumes on how great he was for the role. Another actor I want to mention is Ian McDiarmid who plays Palpatine. He played very well that manipulative politician and his visual expressions tell their own story.
– Now I want to finish with poetry. Star Wars is poetry and the movies rhyme with one another. It goes back to what I said earlier, the visuals tell their own story. And this video is very representative of this, there is a lot of shots from AOTC in it:
George Lucas is turning 73! Without him, we wouldn’t be here today still talking about Star Wars, it’s all thanks to him! We owe him so much and I’ll forever be grateful for these brilliant movies he has given us! Happy Birthday George Lucas!
Once again, it’s because of leaked images of Star Wars toys that we’re getting a first look at a new ship from The Last Jedi. With The Force Awakens, there had been leaks of figures that were our first look at different characters. This time, it’s Kylo Ren’s starfighter that has been revealed!
We see it from the back so we don’t know yet how it looks like from the front but the wings are reminiscent of the Imperial Tie Interceptor and the cockpit feels like it is a bit like Darth Vader’s Advanced Tie. For the colors, they are the same as the First Order Tie Fighters. It’s actually nice that Kylo is getting his own starfighter, he’ll be able to show his pilot skills!